Saturday 18 January 2014

Laguary

Gaming has been fast and furious since my trip to America. In those 17ish days I have beaten, count it, TWO GAMES!! On that pace my Backloggery goal should be finished in, oh, a few years.

Final Fantasy Dimensions was the first to fall. I mentioned before that I thought I was near the end, and I was. My final time was around 45 hours. The last few hours were plot and boss-heavy, so there wasn't much to do other than double-cast Flare and attack a lot. I think the last boss was a little too easy; I didn't feel particularly threatened at any point, and I'm pretty sure I didn't revive anyone either. Now that I've finished it, I think it's a fair game, probably about as good as FFV. Might replay for a better time at some point.

Of course, it wouldn't be a Lag.Com blog post without acquiring more games than I beat. We went to Gamestop to buy some cases for the new 2DSs (Emily already managed to slightly break mine, so the stylus doesn't stay in the case anymore :p) and I was annoyed to notice they didn't have any PSP games out. However, they did have a list of stuff printed out, so I scanned through it. Nothing I really wanted, until right at the end where there was a useful "WARHAMMER: BATTLE F" listed. It was only $3, so I decided to grab it, and soon enough had a used copy of Warhammer: Battle for Atluma on my hands. If you've never heard of this, you're not alone; it's a computerised version of the Warhammer Fantasy card game. It's also really hard; the AI is good and your starting deck is as strong as theirs. I haven't managed to win a match yet. Someday!

It was inevitable that after buying Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag that I would buy the Season Pass for a discount on the DLC. This also happens to give some kind of time-limited discount on Assassin's Creed: Liberation HD, which I dutifully picked up yesterday. Annoyingly, I haven't heard too many good things about the original OR the port, but I'm sure I'll enjoy it at least. Bloodlines wasn't anything special, but the lore of the game world keeps me going. I wonder why they decided to drop the 'III' from the HD title?

Xbox Live's "Games with Gold" campaign marches on, and impelled me to acquire Sleeping Dogs for zero dollars, which the internet passively tells me is pretty good. Another one to get round to eventually.

Aside from Dimensions, I've also been continuing to play Final Fantasy Anniversary Edition to completion. I've done all four bonus dungeons now... I think I did them in the wrong order, because the FF5 callback bosses were a lot harder than FF6's. Then again, the random encounters were the other way round, so whatever. I haven't tried the last (and hardest) bonus dungeon yet, but I'm sure it'll fall to the might of Paul, Emily, Marc and Jess after enough plugging.

Another title I've had on my Android tablet for a while is Chaos Rings. I knew nothing about it, other than it being an RPG of some description which has spawned a reasonably successful series. Once Dimensions fell, it was a natural progression. It turns out to be a fairly fast-paced game with difficult combat choices and an absolutely bat-shit plot. I did wonder where it was going with the whole 'gene' and XX/XY thing... Done one campaign, started the next. The 'Achievements' screen indicates that there are four campaigns, which then merge together at the end.

Lastly, I beat Sonic CD on XBLA a couple of days ago. I fixed the past in a couple of zones, but I didn't do it for an entire stage, so no achievement for me! It's quite short, fun and easy to pick up, if you can get past that incredibly dickish bouncy floor stage.

Wrote down routes for Ultima Underworld 1 & 2. Haven't played yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment